Here is a list with resources to get you started for this year’s conference:
We found Hopin a great tool to mimic the settings of a real conference, particularly the networking. With Hopin we can create an atmosphere as interactive as possible, a key aspect of I, Scientist conferences! We provide live captioning in English as well for talks happening on the main stage (not sessions).
You don’t need to install anything prior to the event! Just follow the link we will send you the day of the conference. For the event on Wednesday you will have to enter the password we will send as well. On Wednesday morning – prior to the actual start of the conference – we will reserve some time for you to play around with Hopin, so make sure you say hello in the chat to all friendly people joining I, Scientist! 😉
Here you can find a video on how to use Hopin and get a feeling on what you will see on I, Scientist 2020:
How to access #iscientist20 the day of the event
If you have not yet registered you can do so on year2020.iscientist.de! If you already have a ticket you can go on with reading.
- You will get an email with a link to the event and a password that you will have to enter.
For the rest of the days: Thursday, Friday and Saturday
- You will get an email with a link, click it and jump into the conference.
Alternative path in case you lose the emails:
- Sign in into your Hopin profile at https://hopin.to/sign_in
- In the Home tab, select the event I, Scientist 2020. Press “Enter event”. You are in!
Before the event starts / Technicalities
As we have all learned during the pandemic, every tool has its own technical requirements, so we have listed here some helpful tips for you:
- Device type: Hopin works best on a desktop or laptop. The Hopin experience on a mobile phone or tablet can be very limited.
- Internet speed: For a great online experience Hopin recommends a minimum of 5 mbps download and 2 mbps upload speed. Ideally would be 30 mbps download and 10 mbps upload or higher for guaranteeing best quality. You can check your internet speed here.
- Recommended browsers: Chrome or Firefox . Make sure your browser is fully up to date. Safari and Internet Explorer are not fully supported as they lack the support needed for live video events.
- If you are having problems with Chrome or Firefox, it’s worth trying to open the event in Incognito mode (Ctrl+Shift+N on Windows or command+Shift+N on macOS) in Chrome or open a private tab (Ctrl + Shift+ P for Windows, command + Shift + P on macOS). The reason is because sometimes third party extensions may be blocking some of the Hopin features.
- Fill up your profile! You will get the best out of Hopin if you fill your profile and link your social media / linkedIn accounts if you wish to do so. Like this the networking experience will be the best.
If after all that it is still not working, the best thing you can do is: refresh your browser! (press F5)
Can’t attend a particular talk?
Don’t worry, you will be able to watch the talks later as long as the conference lasts. However, once the conference is over the videos will not be reachable anymore.
How to Network at #iscientist20
Yes, we know. Networking in a virtual conference is not an easy task. However Hopin offers many possibilities and we have summarized them for you in this video here! Check it out and make the most of out of #iscienstist2020
How to ask Questions at #iscientist20
We encourage you, our
I, Scientist attendee, to jump to the stage with our speakers to ask them your
questions life on camera during the Q&A sessions or panel discussions.
However, if you prefer to leave your questions in a written manner, we have incorporated Slido to our event with that purpose. To ask your question
follow the steps:
- Click on sli.do
- Enter the event code #iscientist20
- Enter the password provided at the event chat in hopin (pinned on top)
- Rate and upload your questions! Add a label to select which speaker you want it to be addressed to.
Not clear enough? Check this video on how to ask your questions at #iscientistVIRTUAL